I was talking with Maria earlier about how it feels like more is being asked of IT than usual. I prefer data to feelings, so I decided to run some reports in our helpdesk system. First, I decided to take a look at how many requests have come in from DPB and DGE users over the last 5 months (max timeframe the helpdesk supports for this type of report).
From the graph above, we can see a noticeable uptick in requests in January and February. Averaging October-December, we get 98 requests/month. In January, 137 requests came in, and in February we saw 153. While there's been a increase in request rate, there's still the same number of IT personnel supporting DPB and DGE. So, I decided to look at our backlog over the same timeframe .
While Maria's backlog is up slightly, mine is way up, strongly coorelated with the incrase in incoming requests.
Maria and I are working on the low hanging fruit in our respective backlogs, and then we will redistribute the remaining requests between us to work though your requests as fast and efficiently as possible. We're sorry if there's been any delays in attending to your requests during this surge, and hope the data above provides some background as to why that may have happened.